Monday, January 16, 2012

SWAMP SLIDE

.
Sunday was a beautiful day to roll down to the swamp off Sky Lake in Belzoni. I was just giddy and singing my little 'happy' french song until I got there. Always mesmerized by such ancient splender...it is about the only time you can find me speechless. And when night rolls in, the full haunting effect of the swamp and bayous come in to play when its wildlife sounds off and the hunters dogs yelp in response to their masters individual calls up on dry land.

There had to be 7-8 feet of water so no walkabouts but with last summers drought...I'm sure there was dry bottom during the fall. Still majestic and spell binding. It wasn't hard to spot the world champion nor the old world champion. And although I could only imagine their massive root span underwater, spanish moss thriving, and the green summer paints on the branches and in the thick liquid below....I wasn't disappointed at all! (you can tell where night fell and Jim had to drag me out of there :/).

Althought the trees are over 2,000 yrs. old...life was dated back 4,000 yrs. ago. Mississippi is full of Indian legends and names here and it's where the old south surrendered during the Unions takeover in order to save their plantations from a fiery demise like Windsor (or the antebellum plantation homes in Georgia during Sherman's march to the sea). We hope to B&B at Dunleith or Monmouth after we pay off the IRS this month :/ (I was hoping for a bit more south into Louisiana but trying to save vacation time with youngest daughter and well...so many plantations there seem to have closed, changed hands, or burn since hurricane Katrina...not to mention they are being offered for filming which is booming down there right now).

The camera seems to work nicely but it would be nicer to have 2 cameras...one set up with a macro or wide angle lens and the other with the telephoto. Bringing the 35 is out of the question since it has to go onto a tripod so I love the new Canon T3 18mpx digital! That with some slide guitar blues between wildlife noises, gators, mosquitoes, and snakes in hibernation during the winter, and unpopulated area.....I could camp out here just fine :D



And to Dot...the other photo buff and artist I met out there...hope you slide on down again and I see you in spring for new inspiration ;)