Monday, May 7, 2012

SHATTERED INTENTIONS

.
The Sunday before the trip Jim was out of town and I skipped services. I wasn't sure if the new Pastor would be there and the other church we like going to was far off so I opted to clean. I hung pictures and pulled ATT old wires up from the back of my sewing table in the craft so the grandchildren wouldn't trip over anything. When I stood up, the ceiling fan slapped me a couple of times in the head causing me to loose balance and fall over backward...onto the grooming table, onto the swivel chair, onto the dryer stand, then the floor. It would be 2 hours before Jim got home from Indiana to take me to the ER where we found I shattered the bones in my left arm and wrist requiring surgery :/

My daughter and her family arrive the following night and I had made an appt with a bone doctor for Tues so while they are visiting others toward Memphis, I am scheduling surgery for the following day; Wednesday. She had come back with my other grandson who brought roses from my mother's garden that is still lovingly tended by my stepfather. All grandchildren under one roof and something of my mother...how beautiful and priceless this moment was. Even in the mild chaotic frenzy of Shell doing everyone's hair, me preparing for a trip and surgery, Xbox to entertain the boys, it was the kind of bustling about I found pleasurable :} Jim was the only thorn at the time so Shell agreed to accompany me to surgery :)))

Well...of course my problems with anesthesia resulted in me being there all day and night because I just couldn't wake up. I tried hard but my eyes would roll back into my head everytime I opened them so more injections to speed the process up had us out of there 10:00 at night. How horrible it must have been for my daughter to sit there all day and night; going from 5 kids to nothing :l I slam gas in her tank and she gets me something to eat from the drive through on the way home. I also gave her half of my grandmother's Napier costume jewelery she had bought in the 40's when she had her beauty shop out in California. I promised her something else special for the kindness and time she took to start my recovery.

Of course all of my intentions were shattered along with my arm because it would be impossible for me to watch the grandchildren for the 2 days in Tampa or on the cruise. It also broke my plans to swim in the sea, play games with the kids, help with driving....so many things. It must have made her feel she had 6 kids and a large attitude problem we called Jim :l  He started to help on his own by picking up the rental car and putting it on the wrong card I needed cash from so that became another obstacle. Shell had to drive the dogs 2 hours away to Swan Kennels and back. I would rent a car when we got home and pick them up so she could drive straight home to California in return so it worked out ok. I offered to keep her dog for the 3 years they are to be deployed in Japan.

"Egggggg" (Paradise...faberge egg)
I still couldn't figure out why she changed the cruise from embarking in New Orleans which is only 5 hours away to Tampa; 12 hour drive. She said it was cheaper but the gas, time, and rooms it took put us over budget a bit whereas leaving out of NO would have been more cost effective. I did learn she doesn't budget well :l  Lol...I was in my mid 30's before I learned to budget too so my foot came down when approached for more money. I hate telling them no but there needs to be times we do so. I wanted to increase the amount I gave my step granddaughter for her dress by $50 but had to keep it at $100 and the dresses I bought the youngest granddaughter did go a bit over. The boys got their passages paid for and Shell was suppose to go to Tulum. Poor Chris just got a congrats cake and champagne :(

The trip was still nice and even though you could cut the tension in the air with a chainsaw everytime we approached her as Jim would say....we enjoyed little moments with the grandchildren here and there :}  I got to know and bond with the step grandchildren, Arden and Cade, a lot more too and found them to be considerate, reserved, SWEET, and sooo loving!!!  My granddaughter and grandson are still so sweet but predominately more vivacious. Malina would be "FRRRIEEEEENNNNDSSSS!!!" and 'poof '. Off she'd go! Jacob is smart as a whip and very indenpendent but I could see the sweet smile he'd flash when we would talk of the silly songs I make up when they come around :} Cade..oh my gosh...soooo loving and compassionate! A subtle sense of humor but on this trip....he'd flash the biggest smile I've seen him EVER wear in real life or ANY photo so I know they had a blast!!!

We did find it rough on the road since we didn't leave till night fall and had been up all day. They could change drivers but with us at our age in the roadster feeling every bump and only one driver...we HAD to pull over with all the swerving. By morning when we realized my clothes were in the Escalade with my daughter... Jim mentioned Walmart. Oh no. Just look for a Harley sign and there will be a shop right off the interstate. No traffic, no crowds, and although it will cost $15-20 more for slacks or a shirt...convenience is the goal ;)

Shattered plans, bones, intentions. No 'thank yous', sacraficed Jim's 10th harley for now but the main idea was to see them before they move to Japan. I did get to steal a few moments with the kids, view the beautiful carribean sea, and make new friends. Even a few photos I will post next blog where I will mention some awesome services, sights, gifts, etc. The journey started a bit rough, got a bit dark....but the light shown in the end made the trip what it was intended to be all along. View one another more clearly, find love in places not expected, a bit of self discovery, and shine on not the things we wanted...but the things we needed the most :)

I am blessed and grateful for what we did have. Time together, Jim's work and co-workers, love, new friends, safe journey, and dogs to come home to :}


But for the other 2 weeks of vacation this year?  Alone, with dogs, or other grandson? Things that make you go "Hmmmm."