Monday, August 27, 2012

BLUE HOLE SPIN OUTS

Hadn't slept well watching typhoon Bolaven spin across the little 7 mile wide island of Okinawa yesterday where my daughter, son in law, and grandchildren are stationed. And while riding naturally through the whole gamut of dramatic emotions while menopausing...I couldn't help but be angry with her for not leaving me an address or phone number. But she had just moved there 7 days ago and yes...there was a message from her. In Facebook :l  Which is glitchy for me and hadn't been able to check anything in there for a long time. I just threw the ocassional speed posts or link I wanted to remember in there.

And what's really odd is the year that hurricane Katrina hit on my birthday...not only did the eye go right over my beach house...but it hit 2 days before she was to close on a house in Slidell, La. Of course the house was destroyed and I believe she just stayed in California...or Hawaii...wherever she was at the time. And now this year, her move to Japan brought Bolaven. And Hurricane Isaac is expected to hit the Ms gulf coast. It will be dead overhead me for my birthday :l  I told her she leaves a wake of hurricanes in her path so she is grounded from moving to any more countries that have hurricanes/typhoons (differences are very subtle). So in all I spent the weekend with both going on and Jim down on the coast boarding up for one, Shell on Okinawa sheltered from another. Whew.

Yeah...Jim did drop down for a night before hitting the coast. Came in late Saturday night for dinner, his Baskin Robbins ice cream cake, and the dogs got him gifts before getting up and heading back off. I got a 2000 yr. old greek coin from Paros, an 1840's Indian head penny from Bayou, and Annabelle...the new comer...got him new money lol :D  The coins didn't cost a lot but were congruent to our little antique thing. Our main presents are going to be spent on lavish excursions I am booking outside of the cruise ship. The cruise itself will be our little 2cd honeymoon so I reserved a balcony room, reservations at the steak house restaurant, and looking into the Chef's table 4 hour private dinner thing :} Still lots of planning and booking and he mainly wanted this one particular excursion that covers all; repeling, zip line, and tubing at Caves Branch. Awesome excursion but done it and don't think my hand will handle the repel part of it so we will just zipline in Honduras with some caving elsewhere.  I should be able to break with my good hand and if I get stuck and can't pull myself...they will come get me (or I could just enjoy the view from the tree tops and get great shots lol!! :D). I can't wait to see the look on my doctor's face when I ask/tell him today :l

So I get to call the adventure for my birthday in Belize. Of course it will be the Great Blue Hole! I just don't know why I am fascinated by it but ever since the early 90's...I just had to go. And when National Geographic went...I am more enthused than ever now. They are my favorite channel, I buy clothes from them, magazines, magazines for the grand kids, books, etc. (I normally only put my own photos, daughters, breeders photos here but this is an exception :} It is from Nat Geo and offered as a wallpaper from one of their sites linked here...3 times so I can find all my spots :). We also subscribe to their travel magazine but la ti da...I am getting just as excited about chartering a 3 seat cessna plane from Tropic Air to view it! I thought since Astrum Helicopters weren't open doored, might as well small plane it :D They have been very curteous and helpful in the planning and it will be just about $600 for the private tour, tip, and trip to the airport and I am waiting now to see if they can just pick us up at the municipal airport instead of the international one or having to take a water taxi (Belize City, San Pedro, Caye Caulker) into Ambergris Caye (assuming they will be filled with tourists). This will be closer than running down Northern Hiway toward Ladyville too (on St. Mathew St. off of St. Thomas). Ooooo I use to run all these roads in a rental back then and well...visiting via a cruise ship is really no way to visit Belize. One country you really should hang a week or so ;) One country that always makes the vacation list :)))

PD Wikipedia/BAS
Maps. Can't forget to print my maps but got time for that. We will even have another week vacation but think we will throw most of it over into next year but will spend a couple days of it roaming around Miami or Tampa if we can. I just hate I won't be able to stop at Half Moon Caye and see the Red footed Boobies (Belize Audubon Society's sanctuary for them). It was a place I wanted to do some zoological field courses if I couldn't get time in at Cockscomb Jaguar Preserve (roads get washed out) and I think they used to have a camp on Laughing Bird Caye for marine biology field study too a long time ago (or maybe it was Blackbird on Turneffe or one of the Pelican Cayes). It seems it has become more geared to tourists now and once when Maya Center (that shut down before night came) was only a building at the foot of a partial road up towards the rangers station and victoria peak and has now become a small village with guided tours for the remote area.  I know I haven't had them on my charity list for awhile and want to wear my Belize Audubon or World Wildlife T when I go that day. They are sooo old the tourists may throw change at me :/

I am wanting to save for that Mediterranean cruise with is only $600 to cover Venice, Greece, and Egypt but the flights have gone up to about a grand pp. Then more for the cruise if you stay 2 weeks but adding all excursions, extra cruise fees, and stuff...ow. But I won't be disappointed at all on a revisit to St. Lucia or Belize. I'm still wanting to whip Jim on down into San Pedro Sula from Belize to see Copan and maybe we if we are budgeting and have to do another caribbean cruise...Progresso off New Orleans is good for Chichen Itza :)

For now I'm jumping with excitement to spin off around the Great Blue Hole! Must be a bucket list thing :}


Special Note: To someone I hold dear...who has endured me through this mess:  If I should ever say I was moving to the mountains by her again...she would SEEK OUT a hurricane or typhoon, run head on to greet it, make it to the other side and dive down into that blue hole screaming :l