Sunday, February 28, 2010

CRUMBLING ROADS

.
Yesterday we visited a Blues Trail marker. There are a lot of them scattered from Memphis to Louisiana in the state of Mississippi. The photos here are taken of the newest one added just this past November when Robert Plant came to commemorate the opening where WC Handy heard his first slide guitar while waiting for a train here. Strange day for me yesterday trying to explain to an elderly lady who Robert Plant was but she was nice enough to request my address in order to send me photos of old blues legend in Tutwiler. If it weren't for Plants appearence here...I would have made the birthplace of Muddy Waters or BB King my first point of exploration.

Nothing but cotton fields, crop dusters, and leave it to me to find my cypress trees! No knees though. Nothing to eat for miles, even in the small towns of Webb and Tutwiler and Paros just wouldn't behave. He pooped there in the middle of town where Plant stood. Embarrassed and apologetic, the lady just said it was ok and that Tutwiler was dead. Well...I have NEVER been lost for words until that was said! The thought on the quote of Dante's hell about 'Abandon all hope, he who enters here' was leaping around my head as I stammered for something polite to say :/

Didn't make it to Morgan Freemans 'Ground Zero' blues club in Clarksdale and had to bring Paros back for a nice long walkabout. Jim had been out of town all week last week so he was due for his walk. Weather seems to be coming about and at least we are finally reaching the 50's for highs again.



Speaking of weather...prayers to those in Chile's earthquake. Small dead towns and crumbling roads. Definitely gives ya the blues.